This is a full-time position at Cornerstone National Insurance Company office in downtown Columbia. The Underwriting Assistant will act as a customer service representative, performing various functions associated with policyholder service matters with an emphasis in underwriting. The person holding this position is responsible for effectively and efficiently performing his/her duties with an enthusiasm that inspires other employees to excel in their work and encourages customers to choose Cornerstone National Insurance as their first choice in insurance coverage.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned. The Underwriting Assistant will have the following job duties:
- Answer & process phone calls from agents, customers, and mortgagees.
- Greet walk-in customers, collect premium payments and handle other issues when necessary.
- Open daily mail, sort and distribute to each department.
- Interact with customers, or insurance agents by phone, email or mail to request additional information or documentation needed.
- Prepare written correspondence for the Underwriting team.
- Perform other duties as necessary from all department.
- Position requires continuous training and education to keep abreast of changes within the insurance industry.
Qualification & Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required to perform the essential functions. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable persons with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Education and/or Experience:
- Two-year degree or equivalent work experience required.
- Position requires employee to be extremely dependable and trustworthy due to confidentiality of certain information pertaining to company records and insured’s files.
- Position requires employee to be highly organized and able to prioritize work to meet various deadlines and perform all duties in a timely fashion.
- Position requires excellent human relations and problem-solving abilities to work with insureds.
Language and Mathematical Skills:
- Position requires excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to read and understand basic instructions given from written and oral sources and to write basic correspondence.
- Ability to effectively provide information to management, employees, clients, and the public.
- Ability to orally present financial information to management, agents, and staff.
- Fluent written and verbal skills in English. Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
- Ability to understand and communicate basic mathematical relationships and formulas.
- Ability to work with little or no supervision.
- Ability to use diplomacy and tact when dealing with problems.
- Ability to identify problems and determine the best course of action for resolution.
- Ability to evaluate information for accuracy and usefulness in solving problems.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving unknown variables in a variety of situations.
- Experience with Apple products preferred
- Position requires working knowledge of policy processing system, claims estimating and claims management software, and Microsoft Office; Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and stand.
- This person must be able to use his/her hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, and must be able to reach with his/her arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move approximately 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.